The ION Group is made up of innovators who provide trading and workflow automation solutions, high-value analytics, and strategic consulting to corporations, financial institutions, central banks, and governments.
More than 40% of the world’s largest companies use our solutions. We’ve achieved tremendous growth by bringing together some of the best and most successful financial technology companies in the world.
At ION, we offer careers that provide many opportunities: To invent. To design. To collaborate. To build. To transform businesses and empower people around the world to do more, faster and better than before. Imagine what you can do and experience. This is where you can do your best work.
We are looking for people who are competent in the cloud, both in the engineering and architecture areas of the domain.
The Core Architecture Team (CAT) produces and manage the core technology, methodologies and frameworks that underpin all new or re-engineered ION products.
We provide our internal and external customers foundations and an open platform they can extend and evolve to manage their solutions independently and with reduced cost of ownership.
The ION Cloud Center of Excellence is aimed to support the Group's strategy toward “a Cloud native offering" via a cross–functional team of empowered people that are responsible for developing and managing the strategy, governance, and best practices for the entire Group.
Some of the team deliverables:
· Create the ION Cloud Infrastructure reusable by all the ION Divisions
· Reduce the total cost of ownership
· Provide guidelines and best practices for the entire organization
· Reduce operation complexity via automated platform configuration and deployment
· Provide tools that ease the developers to setup the CI environment for ION products
· Governance on the development tools, to increase operational efficiency
· Technology recommendations standardization and infrastructure and product design, across the Group
Who you are
Your background is either in software development or operations/infrastructure (or both!), and you enjoy coding or automating your workflows.
You have proven experience in working with cloud providers and dealing with cloud-first applications engineered with a cloud-native mindset.
You are a self-starter individual and constantly learning engineer and enjoy working in a team of peers.
You are open and candid about discussing solutions, problems and improvements within your team and others in the engineering organization.
You are an advocate of DevOps or SRE approach, promoting loosely coupled, heavily automated, constantly monitored distributed systems, and you always plan for failure and never take anything for granted.
You are keen to raise the bar of the solutions provided by the whole engineering team (Dev and Ops).
You possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
What you'll be doing
It’s fine to have some of these, the more the merrier!
The cloud engineer side
· Promote and execute the adoption of DevOps and Cloud Native principles and raise awareness on the importance of reliability and automation.
· Help the team to give guidelines and blueprints on DevOps lifecycle of applications.
· Maintain our internal tooling and automation, to improve the reliability, scalability and the observability of our services.
· Proactively identify and solve issues across the whole stack, together with the rest of the infrastructure and engineering teams.
· Contribute to raise awareness in the security and protection of the cloud, understanding how to fit these in timelines and backlog of the end team.
· Understand how a distributed application works, constraints, and limitations.
· May have previous experience with software hosted in datacenter and on at least one public cloud and familiar with constraints and architectural choices.
· Will work to improve our automated delivery, improving our CI/CD solutions using automation tools to create / refactor deployment tools or pipelines (with SaaS solutions like GitHub).
· Have strong coding and scripting experience and you are interested in improving your programming / coding knowledge (python or go ideally).
The cloud architect side
· Create a state-of-the-art secure cloud architecture, supported by a robust and flexible infrastructure and platform with reliable and efficient operating model.
· Design and implement deployment, maintenance, monitoring, and management processes within the cloud strategy.
· Design and support the Development team in creating new cloud-native applications, while reviewing existing applications to migrate them to support the cloud architecture strategy.
· Regularly evaluate the best cloud applications, capacity and size planning, and practices to keep the ION Cloud up to date with the best of breed available in the industry.
· Provide training and guidance to the rest of the organization, navigating them within the cloud journey.
· Engage with Product Development teams to ensure cloud-native architecture becomes part of the standard design principles followed, supporting continuous integration and delivery models.
· Maintain strong and continuous engagement with security experts internally and externally to ensure the ION Cloud architecture and operating model is up to the top security standards.
· Work with stakeholders and c-level executives to agree on strategies to meet customers' needs and to implement the cloud strategies accordingly.
Your skills, experience, and qualifications
These are must haves!
· Our work language is English, hence it’s very important to be proficient with it.
· Extensive knowledge and experience in one of the major clouds, including: AWS, Azure, GCP; with a comprehensive understanding and real-world implementation experience (We currently use AWS and Azure).
· Microservices in a cloud-native world: architecture, deployments and engineering in the Kubernetes and Container space. You are familiar on how to protect services and adhere with industry standards / best practices.
· Understanding of network topologies, deployment methods and constraints in the cloud
· Familiarity with application development methodologies in a cloud-native environment and container-based runtime.
· Understanding of distributed systems is essential. You would benefit from having architectural concepts like SOA, object-oriented analysis and design, and/or client/server systems
· Experience working with diverse, remote, and distributed teams across multiple regions and time zones.
· A proven track record as an engineer or architect and working in a consulting capacity directly with teams, to educate and provide the best solution achievable within the project constraints.
· Cyber Security and operations awareness: understanding the basic principles (identity and access management, least privilege, encryption, etc) and strive towards implementing best practices and education, to establish a robust set of defenses in line with the company requirements.
Contract and locations
· Contract Type: Full-time, permanent contract.
· Locations: London, Milan, Pisa, Parma, Rome, Verona
Enjoy a hybrid work culture that offers the best of remote flexibility and in-person collaboration.
Important notes (Italy):
According to the Italian Law (L.68/99) Please note that candidates from the disability list will be given priority.
Due to the high volume of applications, only those candidates that meet the required criteria for selection will be contacted.
If you’re from a non-EU country, you must have a valid EU visa or work permit.