The ION Group is made up of innovators who provide trading and workflow automation solutions, high-value analytics, and strategic consulting to corporations, financial institutions, central banks, and governments.
More than 40% of the world’s largest companies use our solutions. We’ve achieved tremendous growth by bringing together some of the best and most successful financial technology companies in the world.
At ION, we offer careers that provide many opportunities: To invent. To design. To collaborate. To build. To transform businesses and empower people around the world to do more, faster and better than before. Imagine what you can do and experience. This is where you can do your best work.
We are looking for experienced people who are competent in the cloud and knowledgeable about the SRE (site reliability engineering) domain.
The Core Architecture Team (CAT) produces and manage the core technology, methodologies and frameworks that underpins all new or re-engineered ION products.
We provide our internal and external customers foundations and an open platform they can extend and evolve to manage their solutions independently and with reduced cost of ownership.
The ION Cloud Center of Excellence is aimed to support the Groups strategy toward “a Cloud native offering" via a cross–functional team of empowered people that are responsible for developing and managing the strategy, governance, and best practices for the entire Group
Some of the team deliverables:
· Create the ION Cloud Infrastructure reusable by all the ION Divisions
· Reduce the total cost of ownership
· Provide guidelines and best practices for the entire organization
· Reduce operation complexity via automated platform configuration and deployment
· Provide tools that ease the developers to setup the CI environment for ION Products
· Governance on the development tools, to increase operational efficiency
· Technology recommendations standardization and infrastructure and product design, across the Group
Who you are
Your background is either in software development or operations/infrastructure (or both!), and you enjoy to code or automate your workflows.
You have proven experience in working with cloud providers and dealing with cloud-first applications engineered with a cloud-native mindset.
You are a self-starter individual and constantly learning engineer and enjoy working in a team of peers.
You are open and candid about discussing solutions, problems and improvements within your team and others in the engineering organization.
You have a passion for site reliability engineering (SRE) principles and adoption, and you are keen to start conversations with teams about reliability, performance and security of the applications, services and systems.
You are an advocate of DevOps or SRE approach, promoting loosely coupled, heavily automated, constantly monitored distributed systems, and you always plan for failure and never take anything for granted.
You are keen to raise the bar of the solutions provided by the whole engineering team (dev and ops).
You possess strong written and verbal communication skills
You are happy to be involved into an on-call rotation whether needed.
What you'll be doing
It’s fine to have some of these, the more the merrier!
The Cloud Engineer side
· Maintain our internal tooling and automation, to improve the reliability, scalability and the observability of our services.
· Proactively identify and solve issues across the whole stack, together with the rest of the infrastructure and engineering teams.
· Contribute to raise awareness in the security and protection of the cloud, understanding how to fit these in timelines and backlog of the end team.
· Understand how a distributed application works, constraints, and limitations.
· Have strong coding and scripting experience and you are interested in improving your programming / coding knowledge (python or go ideally).
The Site Reliability Engineer side
· Promote and execute the adoption of SRE principles and raise awareness on the importance of reliability and automation.
· Help the team understand concepts like ownership, error budgets and production readiness.
· Help define and implement SLIs, SLOs and check SLAs, to meet customer satisfaction.
· Work together with teams to identify and solve issues in platforms and tune services for reliability and performance.
· Aim to reduce toil and manual efforts with automation and repeatable and documented tooling and standard procedures.
· Take active part in the incident management process to troubleshoot impacting issues in a timely manner and engage with all stakeholders involved.
Your skills, experience, and qualifications
These are must-haves!
· Our work language is English, hence it’s very important to be proficient with it.
· Extensive knowledge and experience in one of the major clouds, including AWS, Azure, GCP; with a comprehensive understanding and real-world implementation experience (We currently use AWS and Azure).
· Microservices in a cloud-native world: architecture, deployments and engineering in the Kubernetes and Container space. You are familiar with how to protect services and adhere with industry standards / best practices.
· Understanding of network topologies, deployment methods and constraints in the cloud.
· Familiarity with application development methodologies in a cloud-native environment and container-based runtime.
· Understanding of distributed systems is essential. You would benefit from having architectural concepts like SOA, object-oriented analysis and design, and/or client/server systems.
· Experience working with diverse, remote, and distributed teams across multiple regions and time zones.
· A proven track record as site reliability or production engineer, and working in a consulting capacity directly with teams, to educate and provide the best solution achievable within the project constraints
· Cyber Security and operations awareness: understanding the basic principles (identity and access management, least privilege, encryption, etc) and strive towards implementing best practices and education, to establish a robust set of defences in line with the company requirements.
Contract and locations
· Contract Type: Full-time, permanent contract.
· Locations: London, Milan, Pisa, Parma
Enjoy a hybrid work culture that offers the best of remote flexibility and in-person collaboration.
Important notes (Italy):
According to the Italian Law (L.68/99) Please note that candidates from the disability list will be given priority.
Due to the high volume of applications, only those candidates that meet the required criteria for selection will be contacted.
If you’re from a non-EU country, you must have a valid EU visa or work permit.